The Health Foundation have just released a document: "Making the case for quality improvement: lessons for NHS boards and leaders"
This is classic value theory using the value equation; where value is quality over cost, then we can increase value by increasing quality (and lower costs will follow)!
Includes details on 10 lessons for NHS leaders:
- Make quality improvement a leadership priority for boards.
- Share responsibility for quality improvement with leaders at all levels.
- Don’t look for magic bullets or quick fixes.
- Develop the skills and capabilities for improvement.
- Have a consistent and coherent approach to quality improvement.
- Use data effectively.
- Focus on relationships and culture.
- Enable and support frontline staff to engage in quality improvement.
- Involve patients, service users and carers.
- Work as a system.