Value should be the foundation stone for wise decision making.
The BPV Decision Framework helps NHS organisations follow a clear, structured decision-making process that demonstrates good governance and models different options based on value. The ‘value equation’, measured as outcomes over resources/costs, is used throughout to assess the impact of strategic and operational decisions within organisations and local health economies.
The Decision Framework contains three main elements to improve the effectiveness of decision-making:
- The Decision Planning tool supports multi-disciplinary groups in designing and planning a structured decision process that clearly defines the value goal and agrees stakeholder responsibilities up-front
- The Value Generation tool builds on the decision planning work to illustrate the impact of a decision and examines the evidence supporting the decision rationale or assumptions
- The Option Priorities tool allows users to demonstrate that decisions have been prioritised based on maximising outcomes within agreed resources
Further details about the full decision toolkit can be found in the downloads section on the right-hand side of this page.
To support you in working through a decision using the BPV Decision Framework, FFF and the Healthcare Costing for Value Institute are offering a free of charge facilitated programme allowing you to make a best possible value decision in your organisation or system. A BPV facilitator will come to your organisation and guide the key stakeholders for a particular decision through the framework ensuring every option is considered and ultimately, the best value choice is identified. Please get in touch if one or more of the following apply:
- I have a defined decision which you would like to work through using the BPV decision framework
- I would like to promote the principles of value within my organisation or system
- I am looking for a facilitated project to promote effective working within a multi-disciplinary team
- I am looking to upskill project management, finance or colleagues from other areas with specific value and project management skills.
Please contact Institute@hfma.org.uk to arrange a free consultation to see if your organisation is eligible. Case studies showing examples of organisations that have already used the decision framework are included in the section on the right.
To compliment the BPV Decision Framework, we have created a series of Bitesize documents that share some of the principles of the framework and can be used as part of everyday decision making in the NHS:
- Writing a value focused business case
- Framing decisions for value
- Add value to your meetings
- Moving from implementation to high value performance
The four documents can be viewed by clicking on the links on the right. If you find one or more of the documents useful, it is worth getting in touch about becoming a BPV decision site as outlined above.